Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sew fun!

     One of my to-do items before I turn 30 is to take a sewing lesson.  Back when I was 9 maybe, I took a sewing class with a friend and we made a few things but after so many years, I honestly couldn't remember how to use a sewing machine.  My mother is a fabulous craftswoman and whips up amazing hand-sewn items here and there. So naturally, she would be my sewing instructor.

I wasn't sure what to do, except that I wanted to know how to work the darn machine again and a few simple hems.  But aside from playing around on the machine, my mom wanted me to have a finished product at the end. I had seen a cute idea on Pinterest to add doilies to pillows, while driving to my mom's tonight that idea popped into my head and TA-DA! I was going to make an accent pillow for my bed.

My mom was patient with me and showed me a few tricks of the trade. Okay, not that I became a sewing whiz...but I felt like I knew what I was doing.
  
Practicing some straight stiches

   
Some more practicing and then sewing on the doily to my fabric for the front of the pillow
The finished product!  I love it and want to make more, more, more!
Testing the pillow out on my bed, but it might make it to my couch... either way its cute!
I was quite proud, thanks for the inspiration Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment