Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chicken and Barley Soup

I am a big, big fan of soup! I love soup for breakfast, soup after a long run, I am soup weirdo.  

I saw this in my October Cooking Light and have been wanting to try it out.

I made these changes to accommodate my own kitchen:
*I used brown rice and black barley because that is what I had on hand, but I definitely want to make it again because I love the chewy texture of wild rice! If you have never had black barley, try it! So delish
*I substituted the sage for fresh, chopped rosemary and thyme because I don't have any sage in my garden. 
*I eliminated the heavy cream because as much as I love to eat cheesy, creamy foods, I try not to cook anything with cream, half & half, etc...
I used leftover chicken from last night's dinner.







 
Two bowls later, this is definitely going into my regular soup rotation! 
It had the perfect amount of flavor, hearty and lite at the same time!



No comments:

Post a Comment