Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Paleo Carrot-Cake Muffins

      I got a bag of fresh carrots last week from our school's Farm 2 Kids program and yes, the produce is for the kids buuuuut they always give the teachers a bag too. So... I don't turn down fresh produce when it's offered!  My students were asking me for ideas for their carrots and after suggestion muffins or bread,  I wanted to do a little baking over the weekend.   I also recently threw out all my wheat flour, so I looked for a gluten-free carrot cake muffin recipe.  Thanks to Paleo being all the rage these days, it was easy to find a pretty yummy looking recipe.

     I found this one on MomGonePaleo... The result was nutty, tasty and a little salty!


 Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins:

2 1/4 cups almond flour (I used almond meal, so the texture was a little nuttier)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp each of allspice, clove and ginger
3 tbs melted coconut oil or butter
3 eggs beaten
2-3 tbsp honey (start with 2 then add the 3rd if you want it sweeter)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup shredded carrot (I did a little extra!)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)

 Used my food processor to shred up fresh carrots - still had leftovers for salads this week!
 Mix 'er up!
 This recipe made about 16 delightfully, surprising muffins! 
I brought them to work on Monday... mixed reviews because they are different. The muffins turned out extremely moist and fluffy but they are saltier & less sweet than what most would expect of a muffin. I love the way almond meal bakes, but some people aren't used to gluten & (processed) sugar free foods.  BUT I was very happy with a new breakfast treat and I've had one every day this week ;)
If you don't mind venturing away from regular flour and trying more natural ingredients, I highly suggest these little guys. Carrots, almonds, walnuts -- I've convinced myself that I am eating lots of goodness in these muffins!  Now you should to! 

Cheers,
Belle 

No comments:

Post a Comment