Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Spinach Mania!

This summer, I fell in love with fresh spinach and ate about 3 bunches per week. Then fall came around and I sort of got sick of it... Thankfully, my craving for spinach is back. I bought 2 full bunches of fresh spinach at Sprouts this week (89 cents a bunch is hard to pass up!)  I love finding new ways to use it in new ways instead of just salads or chopped and tossed in with pasta.

In the last two days, here is what I came up with:
Spinach & Goat Cheese Chicken Breasts

2 chicken breasts 
1/2 bunch of fresh spinach, chopped and sauteed
1 clove garlic, minced
3 chopped mushrooms
3 tbsp goat cheese
1/2 lemon
1 cup bread crumbs (I used gluten-free crumbs)
Fresh Herbs (chopped and mixed in with bread crumbs)
Salt & Pepper

First, saute the spinach in a little olive oil.  While that is cooking, mix up the goat cheese with mushrooms, salt & pepper. Juice the lemon into the cheese mixture and stir in the spinach.  Using a sharp knife, slice the chicken breasts so there is a large pocket for filling. Spoon the filling in and close hole with toothpicks if you have some on hand. Rub olive oil on chicken breasts and dip into breadcrumb mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 
                            

Add some fresh vegetables on the side and a filling delicious meal!

(Gluten-Free) Quick Vegetable Lasagna

3 cups chopped spinach, eggplant, mushrooms zucchini and onion (can use any veggies you want)
15 ounces ricotta cheese with a tbsp of pesto mixed in
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 jar of tomato sauce (I used portabello mushroom marinara)
Fresh shredded parmesan
8-9 brown rice lasagna noodles

While water is on its way to boil lasagna noodles,  begin chopping your veggies. I am not a big eggplant eater but I have one that grew and I have been dying to use it. Once noodles are boiling, saute veggies in some olive oil to soften and brown - but not too much.
Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of 9x13 pan. Begin layering noodles, veggies, and cheeses until you finish with one final layer of sauce and cheese. Finish with sprinkling fresh oregano on top.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes covered with foil, then 20-30 more minutes uncovered or until cheese bubbles.
I wish it didn't take so long!!

It turned out delicious but I think I would chop the veggies even smaller and add in some garlic, maybe even add more cheese!!! I was definitely inspired by one of my friend's who posted her amazing vegetable lasagna a few weeks ago and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. Then I get to have even more lasagna this weekend, because another friend is making homemade pesto lasagna! Lasagna mania?!

I think I might try to make a spinach soup later this week... If not, I will be eating spinach salad for the rest of the week! I hate letting fresh produce go to waste! 

I also did some shopping for a few new crafts I want to try... keep your eyes peeled for those soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment