Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Pretty Amazing Weekend + Chili

As I sit here sipping a delish glass of red wine while snacking on mini Cadbury eggs, I can't help but think about how amazing my weekend was.  It was busy but never felt like it was going by too fast.
First, let's revisit my workout goals for the week and see how I did.

Cardio plan for the week:    
Monday - run
Tuesday - morning gym workout
Wednesday - morning gym workout/run after work
Thursday - run & tap class
Friday - kickboxing
Saturday - sleep in
Sunday - long(er) run??

What I actually did:
Monday - 5 mile run
Tuesday - 50 minute elliptical and core morning workout
Wednesday - 50 minute elliptical morning workout 
Thursday - failed attempt to make it to tap class on time
Friday - 3.5 mile run
Saturday - rest
Sunday - Hot Power Yoga
        All in all, not too shabby. I would like to work in a longer run this week, hope I can find the motivation! I have plans with a good friend for a run tomorrow, excited to catch up with her!

        So back to my fantastic weekend. I am not sure how I managed to squeeze so many things that make me happy into one weekend, but it happened. And all of it was by chance. Smiles on my face.
        Friday: I stayed late at work getting things done so I wouldn't have to take any school work home. Went on a a quick run and then out to get drinks with a friend who was in town. Sipped my way through a few bars in North Park, lots of laughs and had some yummy portobello sliders for dinner! 
       Saturday:  Slept in and woke up with some coffee, laying around on the couch in my sweats. Then headed to a matinee showing of The Hunger Games. If you haven't read this series, you MUST! I was so happy with the way the movie was made, I have to say it was a GREAT movie and not just an attempt at portraying a book.  Browsed Nordstrom for a few hours on my own leisurely time. Picked up fro yo for dinner and watched The Wrestler, in bed by 8:30.  What a fab day, but then my weekend continued with happiness. 
      Sunday:  7:30 Hot yoga with my best bud, finally cashed in on my Core Power Yoga Groupon. So now I have 5 weeks of unlimited classes to use. I will definitely be writing up a yoga post soon.  Then I cleaned up, did some gardening, prepped my chili for dinner and headed off to mass with one of my best pals and her baby girl, Julianna. Julianna also happens to be my goddaughter and I haven't seen her in a few weeks so I had to get in some baby girl time!  After mass, we went to Tio Leo's for lunch - yummo! We gorged on chips, split some taco fingers and just had a nice time catching up. The rest of the day has been spent watching more netflix, enjoying some homemade chili and now a glass of red wine. 
      So there you have it, an amazing weekend. Exercise, movies, drinks, friends and resting. As I head off to finish up my glass of wine, I will leave you with my recipe for Three Bean Turkey Chili. What are some things that made you smile this weekend?


Three Bean Turkey Chili
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
1 can El Pato "Tomato Sauce" (also called Salsa de Chile Fresco)
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped 
Oregano
Cumin
Cayenne pepper
Chili Powder
Salt & Pepper
Optional toppings: cilantro, shredded cheese, onion, jalapeno

1. Saute meat, onion, garlic & jalapeno until meat is browned on all sides. 
2. Put everything in a large pot, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for a few hours. 
3. Enjoy a warm meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment