Saturday, March 10, 2012

Steak & Double Potato Soup with Fried Shallots

Made this soup last week and it was amazing. I had a few sweet potatoes and white potatoes in the fridge and knew I wanted to make something with them.  I was browsing through my Soup of the Day cookbook and found this...
 
I didn't have a parsnip, celery or tomato paste so here is what I came up with.

Steak & Double Potato Soup with Fried Shallots 
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 russet potato, peeled and chopped
1/2 lb tri-tip steaks 
3 cups beef broth
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, thinly sliced 
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour 
fresh salt & pepper
olive oil
red table wine

Fried Shallots
Stir together 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Add 2 sliced shallots and toss to coat. Heat 1-2 Tbsp canola oil (the recipe said 1/2 cup, gross!) in a frying pan over medium-heat until very hot. Shake off any excess flour from the shallots and fry until golden brown, 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. And then put them on everything you eat, wait... that's just what I wanted to do.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel & chop potatoes, toss in olive oil (I started with 1 Tbsp), generously season with salt & pepper and roast until caramelized, about 25 minutes.
While the potatoes are roasting, warm a grill pan over high heat. Brush both sides of the steak with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Cook to medium-rare, about 5-6 minutes per side. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes. *You can use flank steak as another option
While the meat's cooking, I sliced my shallot and chopped the onion & garlic. Probably should have prepped everything at the beginning but this was me using my time wisely (since I had to wait for the potatoes anyway).
 
 
In a large, heavy pot, warm 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic (throw in celery here if you like that too) and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add broth and 1/4 c red wine and cook for 10 minutes (can add 2 Tbsp tomato paste if you want it thicker).
  Add the potatoes and steak into broth and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
I wanted to just eat these right then and there. 
Shallots ready for a quick fry. What a great touch to the soup! 

No comments:

Post a Comment