I started with the Original Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. I substituted for chopped dark chocolate chunks and chopped fresh cherries. Most cherry recipes I searched for included dried or candied cherries, but I wanted to give the fresh ones a try. Fresh is always better, right? YES!
By no means are these healthy, they were full of ooey gooey buttery goodness but MAN they were gooooooooooooooooooooood!
Gathering the yummies for the cookie bars
Blend the butter, sugars and vanilla.
Once smooth, add in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chunks and cherries.
Now choose if you want cookie bars or cookies.
I wanted bars, so I spread the dough out flat on a cookie sheet.
Instead, I sliced into bars and brought them to work the next day! A treat for students & coworkers!
Recipe for these bad boys..
Chocolate Cherry Chunk Cookie Bars
2 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c shortening or butter
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
12 oz chocolate chunks/chips
1-2 cups chopped, fresh cherries
Preheat oven 375 degrees.
1. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda & salt. Set aside.
2. In large bowl, combine shortening/butter, sugar, brown sugar & vanilla. Beat until creamy.
3. Beat in eggs.
4. Gradually add flour mixture, beating between additions.
5. Stir in chocolate & cherries.
6. Drop spoonfuls or spread onto parchment/ungreased baking sheet.
7. Bake 8-10 minutes for individual cookies, 20 minutes for pan cookie bars
8. Cool and enjoy!