Thursday, August 23, 2012

Summer Spaghetti

Fresh ingredients. Vegetarian & Light. Summer spaghetti. Yum!



This is how it all began:
About a month ago, my students and I harvested these beautiful tomatoes from our school garden. (No, these tomatoes aren't a month old... it just took me this long to finally post about it)

A variety of tomatoes...Basil, peas and carrots too!  

We harvested so many that I think each child took home at least 15 tomatoes and I ended up with the extras. I was happy to take them home and see what I could come up with.

Think, think, think. Basil in my garden.  Fresh picked tomatoes. Pasta in pantry. Easy peasy, a summer spaghetti was on its way.  

I still wanted to add something to it... so I searched my fridge. I found a container of unopened non-fat cottage cheese. I bought it thinking that I might convince myself to try it finally, but I hadn't touched it. I decided to turn it into a "ricotta" for my spaghetti.

Here's how to make this easy, vegetarian meal!

Summer Spaghetti 
(serves 2)
1/2 box of your favorite spaghetti noodle, I used brown rice spaghetti
10 grape tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
3-4 leaves of fresh basil
Extra virgin olive oil

"Ricotta"
4 oz. non-fat cottage cheese
1 tsp oregano
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Salt & Pepper


First things first, get your pasta going. Next, take the cottage cheese and oregano and blend together. Add in juice from lemon until you've reached desired consistency. Season with salt & pepper and set "ricotta" aside.

Once the pasta is cooking and cheese is ready, slice your tomatoes lengthwise. Heat 2 Tbsp evoo in a pan and toss in garlic. Saute on low for 1 minute. Toss in sliced tomatoes and saute until tomatoes begin to soften.  Roll basil leaves into a cigar like shape and slice basil into thin strips, set aside.


When tomatoes are softened to desired consistency (I like mine on the crunchier side), add pasta to pan with tomatoes & garlic. Saute all together for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in basil.  Serve in bowls and top with a dollop of cheese mixture!   Enjoy!


Cheers,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment